Thursday, July 29, 2010

Slavery to technique?

Iris Van Herpen S/S 2011 courtesy of Pleatfarm.com
I wanted to add this image because I feel that it's very evocative of the route that many young designers are currently taking. It shows a clear mastery of technical skill and an almost slavish devotion to technique itself. The piece is awe-inspiring to say the least; however, in my opinion the extreme amount of fabric manipulation renders it clinical and overtly calculated. I feel that such extreme fabric torture allows very little room for the audience to create their own sense of fantasy. That's not to say that Ms. Van Herpen isn't a designer of liberated imagination, but my own beliefs in what makes for exciting fashion leaves me feeling that such a garment is more sterile than moving.

2 comments:

  1. Mac: This piece makes me wish that we lived in an era that wore things like this, not for fashion, but as normal everyday wear. Could you imagine??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god...I know right! This is an amazing piece with obvious intricate work with great imagination behind it. My ideology is if it makes you happy, wear it. I don't care what other people think of the way I look. I'll wear some crazy things sometimes but again it makes me happy and most importantly it makes me feel like myself, inside and out. This to me is the beauty of fashion. Wear it, rock it, live it!

    ReplyDelete